Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens)

2 posters

:: ISB Areas :: Lighthouse :: Planning

Go down

What do you think of this Book

Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Vote_lcap0%Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Vote_lcap100%Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 2 ]
Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Vote_lcap0%Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

Poll closed

Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Empty Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens)

Post  iAnwar Horizon Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm

I propose reading and discussing A tale of Two Cities by the great Charles Dickens Smile

Here is a small preface about it:

A Tale of Two Cities (1859) is a novel by Charles Dickens, set in London and Paris before and during the French Revolution. With 200 million copies sold, it is the most printed original English book, and among the most famous works of fiction

This is Amazon's Editorial Review:

Novel by Charles Dickens, published both serially and in book form in 1859. The story is set in the late 18th century against the background of the French Revolution. Although Dickens borrowed from Thomas Carlyle's history, The French Revolution, for his sprawling tale of London and revolutionary Paris, the novel offers more drama than accuracy. The scenes of large-scale mob violence are especially vivid, if superficial in historical understanding. The complex plot involves Sydney Carton's sacrifice of his own life on behalf of his friends Charles Darnay and Lucie Manette. While political events drive the story, Dickens takes a decidedly antipolitical tone, lambasting both aristocratic tyranny and revolutionary excess--the latter memorably caricatured in Madame Defarge, who knits beside the guillotine. The book is perhaps best known for its opening lines, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times," and for Carton's last speech, in which he says of his replacing Darnay in a prison cell, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

Expect the following Topics: Fate, Oppression/Class Struggle, and much more... Arrow

As a start I will set the 20th of Jan 2010 as a starting date for discussion!
iAnwar Horizon
iAnwar Horizon

Back to top Go down

Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens) Empty Re: Proposal 6: A Tale of Two Cities (Novel- Charles Dickens)

Post  Samerron Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:29 am

I guess it is one of the popular classics that one must read. Consider me in, but I prefer to push the discussion date a bit further for people to buy the book and read it. Does 25th of January seems a good date for discussion?
Samerron
Samerron

http://samerron.googlepages.com

Back to top Go down